Saturday, October 01, 2005

Fart, Fart

The Buddhists say there are eight winds. They are gain and loss, praise and ridicule, credit and blame, and suffering and joy. If you aren't aware of them, they will blow you away like dry leaves in an autumn breeze. For example, when someone praises you, and that tastes sweet, like candy in your mouth, you are being blown away by the wind of praise.

One day in ancient China a young man thought he had become enlightened. He wrote a poem to his master about how he was not blown by the eight winds. Then he sent it to his master who lived three hundred miles up the Yangtze River.

When his master read the poem, he wrote "Fart, Fart" on the bottom and sent it back.

The more the young man read those words, the more upset he got. At last he decided to visit his master. In those days, a three-hundred-mile trip up the Yangtze River was a very difficult journey.

As soon as he arrived, he went straight to his master's temple. "Why did you write this?" he asked, bowing. "Doesn't this poem show that I am no longer blown about by the eight winds?"

"You say that you are no longer blown by the eight winds," replied the master, "but two little farts blew you all the way up here."

What winds are blowing you?

-----from "Soul Stories" by Gary Zukav



I'm enjoying this book. Had to share this story with my readers, a little funny and thought-provoking contemplation for the second weekend of Autumn.

At last it is cooler here; by gosh, here it is 8:00 a.m. and only 64 degrees! I actually slept with a blanket on the bed for the whole night last night, and without the cooler or a fan to stir the air.

Our morning walk was cool and crisp and I even wore a shirt with long sleeves and enjoyed it.

My lover is feeling better and that's brought my spirits up as well. I missed our talks, our virtual snuggles, our secret whispers in the night. I'm headed his way later on THIS MONTH (oh yay, it's October!!!) for our second meeting; we will be spending part of that visit in a friend's cabin by the river near Red Wing (yes, that's where the boots come from). Ooh that sounds so wonderful! Waiting will be hard, but not quite as angst-y as anticipating that first "meet".

I have no cold weather clothing--i've been in Arizona for almost 20 years, and moved here from Pensacola, FL--and moved there from Atlanta, GA! To me, "cold weather gear" means long-sleeved t-shirts, sweatshirts with a hood, and thick socks to wear with my Birkenstocks. Oh, and long pants. Ha.

Another wonderful aspect of cooler weather is the return of Taza the Cook. I love to cook and bake, but when it is 82 degrees in the house, turning on the oven--or even the burners--seems counter-intuitive, to say the least. Yesterday I had company over and used the occasion as an excuse to make a big ol' peach and blackberry cobbler (I used frozen fruit). I've been trying to entice Chris to come over for some warm cobbler with vanilla ice cream, but so far he hasn't booked a flight. What's up with that? :)



Have a good weekend--relax, recharge, renew--and enjoy the beauty of the season change. Some say living well is the best revenge. I say if you are thinking about revenge, you aren't living well!

"May George Bush become enlightened in this very lifetime."

ciao for now~

9 Comments:

At 10/1/05, 11:01 AM, Blogger mckait said...

good book.. I like Zukov..

Atlanta.. you live in atlanta? did i read that right? last time iw as there the fountain at the underground was frozen solid..

buy a coat immediately!

glad that you are praying for george.. something tells me he is going to need it.. things seem to be.. well.. piling up a bit.. hehe

I can't bring myself to wish him well.. i try hard not t wish him ill.. although I have given up on the aliens.. they don't want him either

have a nice weekend and a bit or two of cobbler for me !
hugs
k

 
At 10/1/05, 1:16 PM, Blogger Christopher said...

Hi Taza,

Sounds like a wonderful book.

Not to worry I will have plenty of warm and cozy things for you to wear when you are here. Although October is not very cold, usually. :)

I remember, Peach and Blueberry cobbler, my favorite fruits. You are so tempting me!

 
At 10/2/05, 6:48 AM, Blogger Me said...

Heh heh... Taz, I think you'll be wearing Chris when you're up there, so don't worry too much about gettin' cool weather clothes! (Oh, and I don't mean that in a smarmy kind of way).

Fart, fart... going where the winds blow you is a good thing, I think. ( ;

 
At 10/2/05, 8:42 AM, Blogger taza said...

McKait, I used to live in Atlanta, from 1974 through 1983. Loooong time ago! THEN to Pensacola, then to Arizona. Now this heat-seeking missile of a gal is contemplating cooler climes!

LMAO at Cooter. What do you think of that Chris, I'll just wear you? Hahahahahaha a fabulous idea!

 
At 10/2/05, 2:07 PM, Blogger Christopher said...

Enjoy!

 
At 10/3/05, 8:23 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

I must be losing it! I thought i posted on here LOL.
I love this story! Yum...I'll eat your food anyday!

 
At 10/4/05, 5:42 PM, Blogger Ralph said...

That does sound like a great book and it certainly is a humorous and insightful story.
Ralph

 
At 10/6/05, 6:08 PM, Blogger Anne said...

hey there
cool post
glad to hear that things
are good with you and yours

 
At 10/7/05, 12:11 PM, Blogger Me said...

Okey dokey... where are you, Taz? Geesh. Ya don't call, ya don't write...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home