Tuesday, September 13, 2005

This 'n' that

Well, it seems as though I haven't posted in a long time. I've been getting back into the school schedule and it's been going so well! There are 16 students and already they are diving into the work with gusto. We have a pretty high percentage of men in the class too (5); massage therapy continues to be a field where there is a gender bias for women....if there is a gender preference stated when someone makes an appointment, it's usually for a female therapist.

At any rate, it is good to get to know these people and their stories. The stories begin to come out not so much in class, although of course there is a lot of sharing during class time, but more in the journalling homework.

Part of their weekly assignment includes doing 2 practice massages outside of class, and writing about their experience on the back of the Client Feedback Form. This is where their lives begin to be revealed: in whom they work on, the feedback they are getting about their work, and their feelings about doing massage early in the program.

Of course we have only covered the back and the posterior leg so far, so their practice is limited. Many of them feel strongly drawn to this field and have a real sense of their future success as therapists, while others are wading through some stickier patches and seem to be saying, "I'm not really sure why I'm here, but here I am!" I know that they will all get what they need from this course.

My co-teacher is doing a bang-up job with the presentations. She is quite young but very centered and teaches yoga as well, so every massage class begins with yoga and chi gung. I'm loving that part! She and I work well together and yesterday got together for lunch and grading papers. I'm in charge of grading and homework, but she wanted to help in order to get to know the students better, so it was time well spent.


Meanwhile, it was 62 this morning as I got up for our river walk. Brrrr for me! The temp will climb to the 90's later--so we are having 30-degree temperature swings in the course of a day. That's a lot!

I love the fall when the nights are finally cool enough to turn off the evaporative cooler (and even the fan, these last 2 nights) and open the windows to the night air. The dogs love it too; they are acting so much peppier and it's nice to feel as though the summer siege is over for another year.

Angus is growing into a sweet dog. Still very energetic, but doesn't damage me nearly as much with tooth or claw these days. He hasn't had any illnesses or accidents or other emergencies for quite a long time now! He's devoted, playful, tireless, and so much fun. He's brought me lots of joy the last several months, and I'm grateful for his presence in my life--even though I've also apologized to Sun Bear several times for saddling her with such a wild child when she is approximately 70 years old....


And yes, the much-longed-for visitor is coming; soon now, very soon....I'm doing my usual procrastination dance of waiting until the (more or less) last moment to do my housecleaning chores....and after the arrival then, for sure, there will be a lull in my posting!

:)

ciao for now....

3 Comments:

At 9/13/05, 11:14 AM, Blogger Christopher said...

Hi Taza,

Hey I am the first one today, Yeah!

Sounds like you have found a good balance (fit) with you your Co-teacher.

 
At 9/13/05, 3:07 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

What a fulfilling time your having. Enjoy your visit!

 
At 9/13/05, 7:36 PM, Blogger Badpatty said...

Shoot! I guess I'll have to read down (on a later date) to find out who the impending visitor is. Long day, and bed is beckoning me rather loudly. You know, I think your pup and my Matilda would probably have fun playing together. She's an Aussie Shepherd/Border Collie mix and is nothing but a furry ball of herding madness. She's only just recently stopped peeing as soon as she sees Daddy (which is why she's more of an outside dog at the moment). I miss checking in on you, but I SHALL RETURN! Take care out there, gal.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home