Sunday, August 28, 2005

Watching Katrina

I'm taking a 'me' day; was planning to go to Maggiez Farm but couldn't muster up the zip needed to motor-vate out of the city. She's on tenterhooks about this hurricane, as she's got friends in the area who are at this moment evacuating the city....and their destination keeps changing. So plans and people are in motion.

Looking at the Weather.com "visible satellite" map gives you a real view of Katrina, and putting the map in motion makes it pretty clear that NOLA's headed for a whole heap of wet trouble. Selfishly, I'm glad my sister moved from there to Galveston in the year since Ivan threatened the Gulf....seems as though it was a good intuition. Sigh.

Meanwhile I worked on 10 people in the last 4 days, which is plenty after a 'vacay.' I also attended the last class' graduation ceremony yesterday afternoon. It was a bit emotional, and once again underscored my belief that teaching isn't the best fit for my personality....it was wonderful to see all my former students receiving their certificates, and sweet to hug and congratulate them--the ones that I worked with in Student Clinic were happy to see me, and the ones I taught in Lab class were not! So there you go. I know where I belong, and it isn't at the head of a classroom!

I've been mooning around today, shopping and cooking--which is one way I calm down when I'm feeling emotionally askew. There's a chuck roast simmering in the crock pot with a variety of veggies and spices that will eventually become a curried pot roast....to be served with whole wheat cous cous and masala tandori naan. I'd love to serve it to my dear one so far away, but that will happen in time....not all that long now, but still an eternity away. Guess I'm previewing the recipe!

Blessings and prayers to those who are facing a hurricane today, and to their family and friends around the globe who are facing it with them.

7 Comments:

At 8/28/05, 2:07 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

Prayers for sure. Mmm pot roast sounds delcious, still Winter here for 2 more days and that sure sounds heavenly :)

 
At 8/28/05, 2:58 PM, Blogger taza said...

Hey Meesh, lemme know if you're interested and I'll shoot you the recipe!
:)

 
At 8/29/05, 8:35 AM, Blogger Anne said...

hey there taz
so glad you had a "me day." i am taking one today myself. good to hear that the harbin trip was beneficial... lucky woman! have you ever been to esalen, in big sur? i have not read the 5th scared thing-yet-but i will look into getting it this week, based on your recommendation! have a fine day.

 
At 8/29/05, 4:22 PM, Blogger Lois Lane said...

Echoing the prayers.
Hey you have been a busy little bee! Congrats to the grads!
Lois Lane

 
At 8/29/05, 7:54 PM, Blogger Cliff said...

Taz, glad yer back and amen to the people in front of the big kat.

 
At 8/30/05, 5:01 AM, Blogger Michelle said...

OOOhhhhh yes please....shoot away!

 
At 8/30/05, 11:17 AM, Blogger I n g e r said...

Can I come over next time that's on the stove? I'll bring a lovely wine.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home