Tuesday, August 23, 2005

Blogging in Monrovia

Doesn't that sound like a movie title?

I'd completely forgotten that Nikki had a laptop with her--one, because Harbin doesn't have wi-fi, or cell phone access (which was a little frustrating for me, the recently phone-addicted), and two, because I haven't seen her for 4 days! But she does have one, and we're plugged into the wi-fi here in outer L.A.

I got a ride from Harbin to Petaluma yesterday with a guy I knew peripherally from the Tucson sweat community, and met Nikki in the Whole Foods parking lot around 2:30 (Sky and I had to go to Harbin one last time on the way south!). She and I hit the road shortly after and I drove until about 7:30, where she took over the wheel. Being at these late night dances (9:00 p.m.-5:00 a.m.) has reconfigured her Circadian rhythms, so she was fine to drive until 10:30 or so, when we found ourselves at the Holiday Inn in Monrovia, CA. Free wi-fi and a breakfast voucher were all it took to cement the deal. We were in for the night.

Re-entry after a week away is difficult but made easier by the presence of a friend who also experienced magical events at Harbin. Returning to the world of the clothed and chlorinated! Harbin's pools are ozone-ated, no chlorine and lots of free cold spring water, available at taps all over the property.

Yesterday at a gas station, I was made very aware that clothes which could be construed as "overdressing" at Harbin could equally be construed as "underdressing" in the outer world....as a man stared unselfconsciously down my shortalls, wondering if I was wearing a top (I was, thankfully). O ye constricted and repressed masses of human folk, get thee to Harbin Hot Springs!!!

Thanks to all of you for the comments that have accompanied me on this special trip. Feeling like it's time to get moving, moving across the desert, returning home again.

2 Comments:

At 8/24/05, 5:46 AM, Blogger Cliff said...

I think my wife called me a repressed mass once.
Glad you're back. I'm guessing it will be a while before you can top the past week.

 
At 8/24/05, 10:01 AM, Blogger magz said...

HEY! ARE YA EVER COMING HOME?

(or ya too blissed out on peace/love/hot water, huh?)

Tazzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz-a, yoo-hoo TAZZZZ-AAAAAA... Come Hooooooome...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home