Sunday, July 10, 2005

sadness

So, the self-confessed media abstainer "just happened" to turn on NPR a couple of hours after the London bombings. I've felt shakey ever since. Luckily my son, who was planning a trip to London last Friday, called his plans off before this happened. Small miracles....

He returned safely, albeit bug-chewed, from Costa Rica on July 1st, with lots of stories and the traveller's trots....was treated in the ER the next morning with IV fluids and antibiotics (hmmmm, just like Angus!). The next day he was off to NYC to visit a friend for the 4th, and he's still there, having a great time, appreciating the architecture, trying out his dynamic good looks and intrinsic charm on the natives. (Ha!) Next he's off to DC to visit my bro, and then he'll be heading to Atlanta for Dad-family visits.



I know atrocities of all sorts happen all over the world, every day; lots of them. I also know that staying away from the news prevents me from feeling helpless about them. What I have found out yet again is that tuning into the news drastically affects my ability to stay out of the fear realm. Feeling fearful not only makes me more likely to focus on the negativity in the world today, but also less likely to breathe deeply, more likely to be depressed, and less likely to believe that anything I do makes any difference at all.

So today in yoga I requested the teacher to focus on chest-opening poses for 'lifting the heart', and silently leaked salty tears through much of class. Little rivulets of confusion, frustration, release, and finally of peace as she calmly spoke through shivasana about change being the nature of life, and non-attachment being the way through the changes.

Being born, period, is the ultimate cause of dying.

6 Comments:

At 7/10/05, 4:37 PM, Blogger lightfeather said...

And you do know that the tears were your heart chakra opening wider and wider...so you truly fulfilled your purpose. I love reading your blog!

I am so desperately hot right now!Sigh...I have to go put gas in my car. Sigh again....

 
At 7/10/05, 5:51 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

So true Taz, minute we're born, we're on the road to death.

 
At 7/10/05, 6:03 PM, Blogger High Power Rocketry said...

Yeah, but it is a good road right?

Would you rather not be alive at all? Because some people get that...

 
At 7/11/05, 7:41 AM, Blogger Me said...

I guess I'm not sure how you can keep yourself tucked away from those things in this world that make you fearful. Not watching, reading or listening to the news is one way, but just exactly how much can you really filter out? You still know there is a war in Iraq; you still know that London was bombed; you still know countless other things that have lodged in your consciousness. Therefore, isn't it more a question of how to cope with the outside, get to know it, understand it, than to deny it? Am I way off base here?

 
At 7/11/05, 8:00 AM, Blogger magz said...

naw cootie, yer not way off.. but i go along with my sis here about choosing not to, i guess wallow in it. same here.

somehow we each gotta find our own way of balancing what we CAN do with what we cant, with whom we can help and whom we cant, etc etc.

taz hun? I was gonna try to address this and maybe give ya an 'attagirl' here, but sheesh, this is gonna have to be a blogpost!

You REALLY caught me with this; it needs pondering over more then the first cup of mud. call me sis, or just come on down... sometimes a good mindless sweat doing construction frees the soul while it tones the bod...

 
At 7/11/05, 8:32 AM, Blogger Christopher said...

Hi Taz,

While I have not completely shut off the mainstream media (pretty close) I tend not to listen to all of their group-think type commentaries. I like to think for myself.

I agree with you. Sometimes it is so much to bear. It just ways me down with sadness.

take care

I am with Magz, so much to ponder.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home