Friday, May 13, 2005

Mumbled musings

Hallo, self! Hallo, other selves out there!
My Buddhism classes teach, among other things, that "other" is no different from "self". Interestingly enough, in the movie What the Bleep Do We Know, this theory is generally substantiated by research done in quantum physics. On the sub-atomic level, there is nothing that is not exactly like any other thing. And most things are not actually "things", they are possibilities that only coalesce into existence once we've pointed our brains at them and "decided" what they are.
Have you ever been driving down the road and seen something out of the corner of your eye, and since you couldn't see what it was, exactly, your brain "created" an image for you? Like maybe an image of something that you "know" doesn't "really" "exist"?
Yeah, that's some good fun!
I do it often. I have pretty bad eyesight and at times my mind creates very very peculiar pictures out of something that, once I get close enough, converges into an everyday object. But I love those flights of fancy....those moments of, "Gee, that looks like an African bushman on the side of I-10 there!!!---oh, it's just a yucca plant, in full bloom. Oooooops."
One tribe of Native Americans used to call twilight "two-light" because it's neither day nor night, and at that time the eyes can often "see" things in a different way.
So today, I'm going to practice "seeing" others as myself.
ciao for now!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home